What you need to know

When you are granted Leave To Remain in the UK it is important you get good information, and good advice as soon as possible

The laws in the UK can be complicated and change a lot. It is important to use information that is trustworthy and up to date.

The best way to make sure your advice is up to date is to go to a specialist Advice Service. This might be online, or in person. But remember not all advice is good advice, or up to date advice. What worked for your friend last month might have changed.

Government offices like the Local Council (also called the Local Authority) and Job Centre Plus are reliable sources of information and advice.

Many other organisations also provide free information and advice, in particular the Citizen’s Advice Bureau (CAB).

Prepare well, before your meeting

You will save a lot of time if you are well prepared. If possible gather all of your information together in one place so that you can answer their questions easily. Full accurate names, addresses and dates are always important.

We have created a Checklist to help with this. You can download it here

Be prepared for Advice services to offer more than just advice

When you go to a place for help they may offer several things

  • Information – to help you know what your options are
  • Advice – guidance to help you choose between options
  • Signposting – tell you about someone else who is better at helping than they are, and tell you to go there
  • Advocacy – someone to help you to ask for what you need, or to speak on your behalf

The only people who can offer Advice or Advocacy around legal issues or immigration matters are people who are legally qualified.

Where you need to go

In person

Leeds Council have local One Stop Centres which provide information on Council services. You can visit these in person. Here is a list of them:

List of One Stop Centres

Some advice services can offer extra help during the first 28 days that you are a refugee. Contact the 28 Day Transition Project at Refugee Employment Training Advice Service (RETAS)

28 Day Transition Project

The Citizens’ Advice Bureau provides information on money, debt, welfare benefits, housing, immigration and other legal matters.

Leeds Citizens Advice

There are many other providers of Advice in Leeds and you can find them by searching on:

Advice Finder

By phone

You can telephone Leeds Council for help from 9am til 5pm Monday to Friday.

Contact Leeds Council

You can contact Leeds Citizens Advice Bureau by telephone:

Leeds Citizens Advice

What you need to take with you

  • Make a list of things you want to talk about
  • Take your ID and Checklist of Information

Other things to think about

  • Have you called ahead to check they are open?
  • Do you need to make an appointment?

Last Updated: 17 September 2018

Print Friendly, PDF & Email