Social / council housing

Social housing is the name for housing that is provided by Leeds City Council or a not-for-profit Housing Association. They are an affordable alternative for people who want a permanent home, without buying a property.

There are lots of people waiting for social housing and there is no guarantee you will be successful if you apply.

Applying for social housing

The rules for applying to social housing are complicated and can change, so it is best to check with a trained adviser from Leeds City Council or Leeds Citizens Advice Bureau.

You need to be a member of the Leeds Homes Register before you can apply for council housing.

If you apply for social housing you will be assessed by the Council and put on a waiting list.

The Council will look at your circumstances to decide how high your need is. People with the highest need will be given a Band A priority which means they these people are given first priority for housing.

Every week the council shares a list of housing available and you can bid for the ones you like. If more than one person wants the same house, it will be given to the person who has been waiting the longest and who has the highest priority banding.

Be aware, you can wait a long time for council housing. Even people with Band A often wait between 6 months and a year for permanent housing.

Single people over 18 who are not assessed as being “in need” will not usually be offered Council housing.

You can find out more about social / council housing on the Leeds City Council website:

Applying for Council Housing

Your local One Stop Centre or Housing Office can help you apply. Find your local housing office here:

Find Your Local Housing Office

and your local One Stop centre here

Find Your Local One Stop Centre

You can also apply directly with the Housing Leeds Team:

0113 222 4413 (9am to 5pm Monday to Friday)
[email protected]

What you need to take with you

To complete the application, you must take

  • your completed membership form
  • proof of identity for you and anyone that lives in your household, including children under the age of 16 (your Biometric Residency Permits will do)
  • proof of your current address (a letter from Mears should do)

to a Housing office or One stop centre to be checked, copied and returned to you.

It is important you bring the right documents to prove who you are and where you live.

An ideal list of documents would be:

Housing associations

Housing associations provide rented housing which is similar to local councils and can be a suitable option for people on a low income.

Housing associations do not make a profit. They are often called Registered Social Landlords (RSLs) or Registered Providers (RPs).

Applying to a housing association

You can apply to housing associations by contacting them directly. You can also apply to some of them by registering with Leeds Homes (CBL – Choiced Based Lettings).

You can find a list of Housing Associations and how to apply on the Leeds City Council website:

Housing Associations

Last Updated: 15 August 2019

Print Friendly, PDF & Email