If you are a victim of a crime, you should report it to the police who can support you. If possible, they will investigate what happened, find the criminal or criminals responsible and prosecute them, if there is enough evidence.

  • If it is an emergency (if someone is in danger or has been hurt) you should call 999.
  • If it is not an emergency (if the crime has already happened and nobody is in danger or has been hurt) you should call 101.

The police force for Leeds is West Yorkshire Police. In Leeds, there are several Neighbourhood Policing Teams. Their job is to work with the local community. Find out more:

Policing in Leeds

The West Yorkshire Police website has advice on a range of topics around safety. Find out more:

Police Advice

If you go to the police for help, you can ask for an interpreter. You can also ask a friend or relative to help you.

What to expect when you report a crime

When you report a crime the Police will ask for your details like your name, date of birth, your address, and contact number.

They may also ask you about your ethnicity and your sexual orientation. You do not have to answer these questions. They ask these questions to make sure they are doing a good job with people from different backgrounds.

If you do report a crime the police will explain what will happen next. They should also give you the contact details of the police officer dealing with your case and a crime reference number. Make a note of this number somewhere safe – you will need it if you want to contact the police again about the incident, or if you want to make an insurance or compensation claim.

What happens next?

When you report a crime the police should also ask you if you are happy for your details to be passed to Victim Support.

Victim Support are an independent charity, to help and support victims of crime.

If you say yes, Victim Support will automatically get your contact information and brief details about the crime. They will then contact you to see how they can help. If you don’t want them to contact you, tell the police officer.

You can change your mind later and or you can contact them directly at any time for help and support.

Victim Support
0808 168 9111

Last Updated: 29 June 2018

Print Friendly, PDF & Email