Safer Leeds is a partnership of organisations including Leeds City Council, the NHS and emergency services, which work together to help people in Leeds to be safe and feel safe in their homes, in the streets, and the places they go. You can find out more what they do and how they can help on the Safer Leeds website.

Safer Leeds


In Leeds, professionals from different services including health, Leeds City Council and the police work together to help protect adults and children from harm, abuse or neglect. This is called ‘safeguarding’ and they do this in two groups:

Leeds Safeguarding Adults Board (LSAB)

Leeds Safeguarding Children Partnership (LSCP)

If you are worried that someone is suffering abuse you can call a phone helpline for help and advice. Services will work together to make sure the victim is safe.

Adults (adult social services)
0113 222 4401 / Out of hours 07712 106 378

In an emergency, call 999

LSAB also has a useful list of services in Leeds that can support adults who are at risk of abuse or have been abused.

Additional Sources of Support

Children (Duty & Advice Team)
During office hours (9.00am – 5.00pm) call the Duty & Advice Team
T: 0113 376 0336 (use option 3)

Out of office hours (evenings, weekends and bank holidays) call the Children’s Emergency Duty Team:

T: 0113 376 0469
If you believe a child is in immediate danger and at risk of harm call the police on 999

There is lots of useful information on the LSCP website about how to keep children safe, including:

  • Recognising the signs of Child Sexual Exploitation and child abuse and what to do if you are worried
  • Online / internet safety
  • What children should do to stay safe when they are playing outside
  • When children are old enough to be left on their own

Leeds Safeguaring Children Partnership

Domestic abuse / violence

Domestic abuse is when someone you know, usually a family member, partner, or former partner uses controlling behaviour, is violent or abusive. The abuse or violence could take different forms, including:

  • psychological
  • physical
  • sexual
  • financial
  • emotional

Leeds Domestic Violence Service offers legal advice, money and housing advice, emotional and mental health support. It also offers emergency accommodation. There is a 24hr helpline which you can call anonymously and drop-in sessions you can visit at different locations in Leeds.

0113 246 0401
[email protected]
Leeds Domestic Violence Service

Hate incidents

Hate incidents are when someone is abusive or violent towards you, because of a prejudice or belief they might have about your:

  • disability
  • race
  • religion
  • transgender identity
  • sexual orientation

There are different types of hate incident, including name calling, physical violence, bullying and intimidation, graffiti, damage to your property, nuisance phone calls and abuse on social media. This is upsetting for victims and their friends and families.

Some hate incidents can also be considered a hate crime, if the law has been broken.

If you experience a hate incident against you or someone else, you should always report it. Even if the incident is not considered a crime, the police and other organisations can help you deal with it.

When you report it, it is really important you tell them if you think it was a hate incident for the police records.

You can report by visiting your local police station. Find your local police station on the West Yorkshire Police website:

Find Your Local Police Station

You can also report it online or over the phone:

101. If it is an emergency (if someone is in danger) you should call 999.
Report Hate Crimes

If you don’t want to speak to the police, you can report it to Stop Hate UK, an independent organisation working to challenge hate crime and discrimination. Information about Stop Hate UK is available in different languages:

Find Your Language

To report a hate incident to Stop Hate UK:

0800 138 1625 (24 hour helpine)
Stope Hate UK – Leeds

If you need help and support, you can contact Citizens Advice Leeds.

31 New York Street, Leeds, LS2 7DT
0113 223 4400
Citizens Advice Leeds

Trafficking and modern slavery

Trafficking is a modern form of slavery and involves being transported into the UK, or around the UK and exploited. You may be forced into manual work such as construction, or working in people’s homes, or forced into having sex.

You may be forced into poor living conditions, being controlled so your freedom is taken away and not paid any wages. Often, you may experience violence or threats.

If you think you’re a victim of human trafficking, or you know someone who is, call the police by dialling 999. You have not done anything wrong and it’s important you report it.

  • the police will help you
  • you’ll be protected from anyone you think might hurt you
  • you don’t have to give evidence in court unless you choose to


Or you can contact the Modern Slavery Helpline

08000 121 700

You can find more information on modern slavery here:

About Modern Slavery

Sexual assault and rape

Rape and sexual assault are when you are subjected to sexual acts without your consent. Rape is when someone forces you to have sex.

Not all cases of sexual assault involve violence, cause physical injury or leave visible marks. Sexual assault can cause severe distress, emotional harm and injuries which can’t be seen. All rape and sexual assault is very serious.

Support After Rape & Sexual Violence Leeds (SARSVL) support all women and girls who have been affected by sexual violence of any kind at any time in their lives. The service offers a helpline, counselling, and advocacy to help you access other services.

SARSVL can provide an interpreter during support sessions. Find out more including translated leaflets in different languages:

SARSVL Interpreter

Female Genital Mutilation (FGM)

FGM is sometimes also known as female circumcision or cutting. It is the removal of or injury to female genitalia carried out for non-medical reasons, usually to children before they reach puberty. It is carried out because of a mistaken belief that it will benefit the child, but it has no medical benefits and there are no religious texts that say it should be done.

FGM is illegal in the UK and if you are found guilty of carrying out FGM or allowing FGM to be carried out on your child you can go to prison for up to 14 years.

FGM is extremely harmful physically and can also affect the child emotionally. Find out more:

Female Genital Mutilation

Services in Leeds take FGM very seriously. If you have been affected it is really important to ask for help from a health professional such as your GP, nurse or midwife (maternity nurse). They can help you get surgery to relieve some of the physical problems caused by FGM and mental health support to help deal with distress.

If someone you know is at risk of FGM, it’s important you report it so you or the person can be protected. You can speak to your GP or health professional. You can also contact the NSPCC FGM Helpline – a national charity that works to protect children.

0800 028 3550
[email protected]
NSPCC Female Genital Mutilation

If someone is in immediate danger from FGM, call the police on 999.

Forced marriage / honour-based violence

Forced marriage is when you are pressured to marry someone against your will.

Honour-based violence is a violent crime or incident which someone or a group may commit against you because they believe it protects or defends their ‘honour’.

Forced marriage and honour-based violence are both illegal in the UK.

If you are in immediate danger you should call the police on 999.

Karma Nirvana is a national charity which runs a helpline offering support.

0800 5999 247 (Monday-Friday, 9am – 5pm) .
[email protected]
Karma Nirvana


Everyone in the UK has the right to express their beliefs and interests openly. Radicalisation is when someone starts to agree with or support terrorism, or holds extremist views associated with terrorism. They might change their behaviour and beliefs and they might be pressured to do something illegal or dangerous by someone else.

If you think someone is being radicalised you should report your concerns to the Leeds Safeguarding Adults Board or Leeds Safeguarding Children Partnership.

Adult Social Care:
0113 222 4401 (Out of hours 07712 106 378)

LSAB also has a useful list of services in Leeds that can support adults who are at risk of abuse or have been abused.

Additional Sources of Support

Social Work Services:
0113 2224403 (9am-5pm).

If you think a child is immediate danger or it is out of hours (evenings, weekends and bank holidays) call the police on 999.

Drugs and alcohol

Drugs that are illegal in the UK are divided into Class A, B and C. For example, heroin and crack cocaine are Class A, cannabis is Class B and khat is class C. Penalties are different for each class of drug.

You can get up to life in prison for supplying drugs and up to seven years in prison for possessing drugs (as well as on-the-spot fines).

In 2016, the police were given extra powers to take action against people who supply or produce drugs known as illegal highs or psychoactive substances. They look and behave like other drugs such as cocaine, ecstasy and cannabis. They can cause physical affects including heart palpitations, seizures and even death. It can be even more difficult to know what chemicals are in illegal highs than with other drugs.

Release are an independent charity who provide excellent advice about drugs, as well as the laws controlling them.

Legal Advice on Drugs

Forward Leeds is the drug and alcohol service in Leeds. You can access information on drugs and alcohol use as well as different kinds of support for people with drug and alcohol problems.

0113 887 2477
Getting Help

Last Updated: 25 October 2019

Print Friendly, PDF & Email