What you need to know
Here is the process for extending your stay in the UK:
- Receive your Home Office Decision and Biometric Residence Permit
- Live in UK for 5 years – you can apply for family reunion during this period. Speak to the Red Cross about this
- Apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR) roughly 28 days before your existing leave expires – you will be charged for this application
- Live with 1 year’s Indefinite Leave to Remain Status (ILR)
- After 1 year of receiving Indefinite Leave to Remain status you can apply to become a British Citizen – you will be charged for this application and you will have to pass a life in the UK test to become British Citizen.