If you are over 18 and want to develop your work skills, get a qualification, or learn something new, there are lots of learning courses you can do in Leeds.

Courses run in many different subjects including health and wellbeing, English and maths, arts and crafts, computers, business and more. There are venues across the city, including local neighbourhoods.

The Leeds Adult Learning website allows you to search by location or the subject you want to study. It includes courses offered by colleges and other education providers.

Leeds Adult Learning

Some courses may be free of charge, others may charge course fees, depending on your circumstances.

Career Advice – advice on getting the kind of job you want

You can also use the National Careers Service website, which includes a search tool to look for training courses for different areas of work.

It is a national website run by the government. You can use a search tool to look for courses in Leeds. It also includes guidance to help you look for work.

National Careers Service
Aspire-Igen is an organisation that can provide free advice on training and education options and how to find work.

You can make an appointment to visit a career adviser at its Leeds city centre office.

33 Eastgate, Leeds LS2 7RD (Mon-Thur, 9am -5pm, Fri, 9am -4.30pm)
0330 111 0035


The Jobcentre Plus can offer you free training for up to 6 weeks in different industries or areas of work.

You can speak to a work coach about this. You can access the training if you are receiving certain benefits – Jobseeker’s Allowance or Employment and Support Allowance.

Find out more about Jobcentre Plus and other places you can go to get help looking for employment.

Jobcentre Plus


Apprenticeships allow you to work, get paid a wage and study for a qualification at the same time.

You can study an apprenticeship at any age. Find out more here:

Apprenticeships Guide

University Courses

Universities offer Higher Education courses (BA Hons and BSc Hons Degrees) and professional qualifications.

Students of all ages can apply, if they have the right qualifications. There are several universities in Leeds and also smaller colleges offering Higher Education.

Some universities offer level 3 foundation years for people who do not have traditional qualifications. You can go to university at any age.

Refugees are entitled to ‘home student’ fees status and are entitled to apply for student finance support (this means financial help through a loan or grant to pay for tuition fees and living expenses). The rules for students with Discretionary Leave are different.

Qualifications from outside the UK

If you have qualifications from your home country, you can find out if they are recognised in the UK through an organisation called UK NARIC.

You may need to find this out if you need to prove your qualifications for a job or applying to study a new UK qualification.

UK NARIC is the UK national agency that compares international qualifications and skills and can provide the official document you need to get them recognised in the UK.

There is a fee that currently starts at around £50. If you need translations, some languages are free of charge and for some, may have to pay extra.

0871 330 7033 (Mon-Fri, 9am-5pm, calls cost 11p per minute)

Further Education

Refugee Council have produced a short guide to further education for asylum seekers and refugee:

A Guide to Further Education for Asylum Seekers and Refugees

Last Updated: 1 August 2019

Print Friendly, PDF & Email