What you need to know

If you have nowhere to live, or at risk of losing your home, you must let Leeds City Council Housing Options team know as soon as possible.

Do not wait until you are required to move out of NASS accommodation before you approach Leeds Housing Options.

When you go to Housing Options you must ask for a Homelessness Assessment. Leeds Housing Options have a specialist Refugee Resettlement worker.

Leeds City Council have a duty to prevent you from becoming homeless, and may be able to help you find somewhere quickly.

The council will ask you about your housing and support needs, as well as anyone else who usually lives with you (your partner, your children or anyone else you care for).

They will ask you about the kind of place you want to live (size and location), how much you can afford, and any special needs relating to disability or health.

The council will then give you a personal housing plan. The plan will help you to find somewhere else to live.

The council will offer you help for:

  • up to 8 weeks if you’re threatened with homelessness
  • a further 8 weeks if you become homeless

Leeds Housing Options will issue a decision in writing on whether or not you are eligible for their help within 33 days. However, while it is making its decision, it can provide you with temporary accommodation.

If you need an interpreter, ask for one

You can request an interpreter when you visit Leeds Housing Options. Housing Options will contact the Leeds City Council Interpreting service and a telephone interpreter can be provided to help you immediately.

Emergency Accommodation

If the council assess you as being homeless and in priority need, you may get emergency accommodation.

Longer term accommodation

If you are still homeless after 8 weeks, the council will decide if you qualify for longer-term housing.

You won’t qualify for longer term unless you:

  • fall into a priority need group
  • are homeless through no fault of your own

If you qualify, you may have to stay in temporary accommodation until longer-term housing is available.

Where you need to go

In person

Leeds Housing Options – City Centre Hub, Merrion House, 110 Merrion Centre, LS2 8BB
Monday – Thursday: 08.30 – 16:00 and Friday 09:30 – 16:00


Leeds Housing Options website is full of helpful information

You can also get housing advice online at places like:

Citizens Advice Bureau

By phone

You can telephone Leeds Council for Homelessness and Housing Advice on 0113 222 4412

What you need to take with you

  • Your Home Office Letter (NASS 35), showing your immigration status
  • Proof of your address (a letter from Mears with your name and address on it)
  • Your BRP if you have one
  • Your completed Personal Information Checklist
  • Any additional evidence of medical difficulties or disabilities, or things that means you will need a house adapted to your needs.

Other things to think about

  • The Housing Options team will tell you about renting from private Landlords, as well as social housing.
  • If you have a disability or need a house to be adapted to your needs, make sure you tell the Homeless Officer.
  • You may be eligible for an Integration Loan to cover the costs of a deposit for private rented accommodation, and essential items for the house.

Last Updated: 15 August 2019

Print Friendly, PDF & Email