Personal safety

It is important to feel confident when you walking around in Leeds or your local area. These tips can help you stay safe:

  • Where possible, avoid walking around at night on your own.
  • Try to stay in well-lit, busy areas.
  • If you are on a night out, do not accept drinks from people you do not know and do not leave your drink unattended.
  • Keep your bag secure so your belongings are not on show.
  • Trust your instincts if you do not trust someone.

Protecting yourself from burglary and theft

Thieves are often looking for an easy opportunity to steal, so by following some simple tips you can help protect yourself:

  • Don’t keep personal belongings such as car keys, money, mobile phones or laptops on view, either in your car or home.
  • Keep ground level windows and doors closed and locked if you are not in the room.
  • If you have a burglar alarm, use it when you go out or go to bed.
  • Shred receipts, bank statements, bills before throwing them in the bin.
  • If you are renting your home, and there is a problem with the property that puts you at risk of burglary, report it to your landlord. For example, a broken window or lock.
  • Consider using a timer on lamps to light up your home when you are out. They are inexpensive and you can buy them from shops selling household goods, like Wilko Argos.

Reporting a burglary or theft

If you are a victim or burglary, you should report it to the police.
If it is not an emergency, if the crime has already happened and no-one is in danger, you can call 101 or visit your local police station.

If it is an emergency, because you or someone else in danger, or the crime is in progress, call 999.

Antisocial behaviour

Anti-social behaviour is when people do things that cause distress or harm to someone or to the community. It can make people feel frightened and afraid. It can happen where you live, or in a public place or on public transport. Examples include:

  • Neighbours being a nuisance or too noisy
  • Vandalism and graffiti
  • Drinking alcohol on the street
  • Litter
  • Aggressive Begging
  • Problems related to sex-workers
  • Inappropriate use of vehicles and abandoned vehicles

Reporting Antisocial behaviour

If you have experienced anti-social behaviour, you should speak to your local neighbourhood policing team. They can investigate, provide support and advice, and help you handle the situation. Find your local neighbourhood policing team here:

Local Neighbourhood Policing

Or you can use a reporting form on the West Yorkshire Police website:

Report Anti-social Behaviour

Or you can also report it to Leeds Anti-Social Behaviour Team:

0113 222 4402 (Mon to Thurs 7:30am-6pm, Friday 7:30am-4:30pm)
[email protected]
Anti-social Behaviour

Or you can report it at your local One Stop Centre. Find your local Centre here:

Find Your Local One Stop Centre

If you are renting accommodation from the council, housing association or private landlord, you should report it to your landlord first.

Drinking alcohol in a public place

There are rules in place by Leeds City Council called Public Space Protection Orders (PSPO) in some areas of Leeds which make it an offence to drink in the street and you can be fined if you are caught.

The areas affected include:

  • Armley
  • Burmantofts
  • City Centre
  • Gipton
  • Guiseley
  • Harehills
  • Killingbeck and Seacroft
  • Little Woodhouse
  • Woodhouse Moor and Little London

Find out more on the Leeds City Council website:
Public Space Protection Orders


It is important to consider your neighbours when making noise. You cannot always avoid making some noise from your property, but it could be considered a problem if the noise levels are unreasonably loud and happening between 11pm and 7am for example.

Leeds City Council has produced a leaflet which offers guidance on what noise levels are acceptable and how to deal with noisy neighbours.

Noise Nuisance Information Pack

The leaflet recommends that you try to speak to your neighbour if you are having problems with noise, and offers guidance on how to do this. However, if this does not work and the noise continues, you can report it to the Council’s Noise Nuisance Team. However, they can only investigate the problem if you report it while the noise is happening.

Daytime 0113 222 4402 / Out of Hours (6 pm to 3.30 am) 0113 395 0143
[email protected]

If the noise is caused by a business for example a pub or factory, you can report it to the Environmental Protection Team.

0113 378 5959 (Mon to Thurs, 9am-5pm) (Fri, 9am-4:30pm) / Out of office hours 0113 395 0143
Noise Nuisance

Last Updated: 27 August 2019

Print Friendly, PDF & Email