All schools in Leeds have staff who support the pupils to be healthy, happy and safe. This means that if your child is having problems, either in school or at home, they can get extra support. Problems they can help with include: if your child is struggling with school, is being bullied or affected by problems in the family.

Your school should have a family support worker who you can speak to confidentially. You should be able to find their contact details on your school’s website or you can contact the school.

Extra help for children with a special educational need or disability

If you think or know your child has a special educational need or disability (SEND) you should speak to your school.

All schools and colleges have a duty to identify children with special educational needs or disabilities (SEND) and provide the additional support they need. To help do this, schools have a Special Educational Needs Co-ordinator (SENCO) who you can speak to. In colleges they are usually called Additional Learning Needs Coordinators.

Sometimes your child needs an Education, Health and Care Plan, if they need a lot more support than the school or college can provide on its own.

Schools and colleges must involve you in any decisions about support for your child.

For more information you can contact the Leeds SEND Information Advice and Support Service.

0113 378 5020
[email protected]

Paying for care for your child

If your child has an education, health and care plan, and needs extra care and support offered by a health care professional, for example, you may have to pay all or some of the costs of this care. The Council will decide how much you need to pay.

Last Updated: 15 August 2019

Print Friendly, PDF & Email