What you need to know

The Biometric Residence Permit is an official form of identity and proves that you have the right to live and work in the UK.

Your Biometric Residency Permit will include:

  • your name, date and place of birth
  • your fingerprints and a photo of your face (this is your biometric information)
  • your immigration status and any conditions of your stay
  • information on whether you can access certain services called public funds, for example benefits and health services.

The permit is not a travel document so you cannot use your permit to travel to different countries.

What if the Home Office don’t have my photo or fingerprints?

If the Home Office don’t have your photo or fingerprints on file, the Home Office will write to you telling you to “enrol your biometrics”.

When you receive this letter, you have seven days to take this letter to your nearest Post Office and ask if they are able take your biometric information – along with any dependent children you have.

At the Post Office, all family members will be photographed and finger-printed (except children under 5 who will just have their photographs taken.)

The link below shows how the post office will collect your biometric information:

Foreign Nationals Biometric Residence Permit

The Post Office will charge you £19.20

When will my BRP arrive and what should I do when I get it?

In most cases the Home Office will send your Biometric Residence Permit to you by courier a few days after you receive your letter which grants you refugee status. The letter granting you refugee status will tell you that your Biometric Residence Permit is going to be delivered.

When you receive your Biometric Residence Permit you must check that all the information on it is accurate.

If it is not, you should tell the Home Office about any mistakes within ten working days. If you do not tell them, you may have to re-apply and pay for another Biometric Residency Card.

Report a Problem

Keeping the Home Office updated

You must tell the Home Office if anything mentioned on your card changes – for example, if you change your name, your gender or your appearance.

You must tell them within 3 months of the change.

Report a change of circumstances if you have a visa or BRP

What if my BRP is lost or Stolen?

Lost or stolen Biometric Residency Cards must be reported immediately to the Police and the Home Office if your permit is still valid for over 3 months.

If you do not apply for a replacement within 3 months you can be fined up to £1000.

Replace a Biometric Residency Card

What happens when my BRP expires?

Your Biometric Residence Permit is only valid for a certain amount of time (usually five years). Make sure you know when your permit expires and that you apply for further leave to remain or settlement before your leave expires.

If you do not extend your leave or obtain settlement, you risk becoming an ‘over-stayer’ and could be detained and removed from the UK.

Further details about Extending permissions to remain in the UK can be found in Extending permission to stay in the UK.

Last Updated: 29 June 2018

Print Friendly, PDF & Email