What you need to know

All young people can leave school at 16 if they want, but by law they must be in education or training until they are 18. There are different ways a young person can do this, including:

Vocational qualifications (such as BTECs) which usually include a mix of study and practical skills for a particular area of work. Most students study 1 subject.

A-level qualifications which are usually more academic and are the most common route into university. Most students study 3 or 4 A-Levels.

Apprenticeships which allow students to work, get paid a wage and study for a qualification at the same time.

Where you need to go

Many schools offer full time education for 16-18 year-olds, including A-Levels and some vocational courses. This is usually known as Sixth Form. However, not all secondary schools offer a Sixth Form.

There are also several colleges in Leeds, which run courses for young people, aged 16-18. This is also called Further Education.

Some of these colleges also run courses for adults who want to improve their skills, learn English or learn something new.

Leeds Adult Learning
Another good place to look at all the options and get advice is the Leeds Pathways website which is aimed at 13-25 year-olds.

Leeds Pathways

Young people can also contact Aspire-Igen, an organisation that provides free advice on training and education options and how to find work.

It also offers a programme called aspire2work providing training and work experience for 16-19 year-olds. You can make an appointment to visit a career adviser at its Leeds city centre office.

33 Eastgate, Leeds LS2 7RD (Mon-Thur, 9am -5pm, Fri, 9am -4.30pm)
0330 111 0035

16-19 Bursary Fund

If you are:

  • aged 16 to 19 and:
  • studying at a publicly funded school or college in England
  • on a training course, including unpaid work experience

You could get a bursary to help with education-related costs.

Bursary Fund

Last Updated: 12 September 2018

Print Friendly, PDF & Email