What you need to know

Private rented accommodation means houses or flats that are owned by a private landlord.

These properties are not owned by Leeds City Council.

It is often faster to get a private rented property than a property provided by Leeds City Council, but renting privately can be complicated and expensive. Most private landlords want rent money in advance or as a security bond.

Leeds Housing Options can help you find a private rented property.

Housing Options have a list of available properties through their private rented scheme. The available properties change every day. You will not need any money for a bond or rent advance for any of these properties.

If you find your own private rented property and Leeds City Council may be able to help you with the cost of the bond.

For more information and advice you can get from Housing Options please visit: Housing Options

Where you need to go

In person

Leeds Housing Options – City Centre Hub, Merrion House, 110 Merrion Centre, LS2 8BB
Monday – Thursday: 08.30 – 16:00 and Friday 09:30 – 16:00


Leeds Housing Options website is full of helpful information

You can also get housing advice online at places like:

Citizens Advice Bureau

By phone

You can telephone Leeds Council for Homelessness and Housing Advice on 0113 222 4412

What you need to take with you

  • Your Home Office Letter (NASS 35), showing your immigration status
  • Proof of your address (a letter from Mears with your name and address on it)
  • Your BRP if you have one
  • Your completed information sheet
  • Any additional evidence of medical difficulties or disabilities, or things that means you will need a house adapted to your needs.

Other things to think about

  • You can stay on the Leeds Housing Options waiting list for Social Housing even if you rent privately in some circumstances. You may also be able to keep your priority for council housing. You should check with Leeds Housing Options.
  • You can stay with friends and maintain your priority status on the Leeds Housing Options waiting list for Social Housing.
  • Some landlords will only accept you if you are in employment and will not accept people who receive Welfare Benefits. However, there is a website called DSS Move that you can use to find landlord who will accept people who are on welfare benefits.
  • DSS Move
  • All landlords who rent out properties in England are now required to carry out “right to rent” checks on people who want to rent from them. This to check you have the right to live in the UK legally. Landlords will usually ask for evidence such as a passport or Biometric Residence Card (BRP).

Finding Private rented accommodation without the help of Leeds City Council

There are lots of properties available from letting agents in Leeds city centre and in local areas. Be aware that some letting agents may charge you a fee for finding you accommodation. The easiest way to find your local letting agents is to use Google Maps.

You could also check in local newspapers, shop windows and notice boards, as landlords sometimes advertise their accommodation that way.

You can also try websites such as:

Rightmove and

Last Updated: 15 August 2019

Print Friendly, PDF & Email