What you need to know

Some refugees can apply for their family members to come and live in the UK. This is known as Family Reunion

and usually applies to the refugee’s:

  • husband/wife/partner;
  • dependent children (your children under 18 years)

If you would like to bring your family to live with you in the UK seek legal advice as there are some restrictions on who can apply.

You will usually have to pay for Immigration Advice if it is not to do with asylum – i.e. to obtain travel documents, settlement or to bring a partner or spouse to the UK.

This includes Spouse visas and visas for other family members.

There are some free services available from British Red Cross and Chapeltown Citizen’s Advice Bureau, but these are very limited and under a lot of pressure.

Where to go


You can use the UK.GOV webpage to find advisers in Leeds and check what level they are qualified to. You should also check if they charge a fee.

Find an Immigration Adviser

By phone

The British Red Cross.
0113 2015242 (Monday – Wednesday 09:00-17:00)

Chapeltown Citizen’s Advice Bureau
0113 223 4400 (Monday – Friday 09:00 – 16:30)

What you need to take with you

  • Your official documents (including your BRP)
  • Your completed Personal Information Checklist

Last Updated: 15 August 2019

Print Friendly, PDF & Email