What you need to know

Leeds Housing Options is the best place to find somewhere to live.

As a refugee, you are eligible to apply to go on the waiting list for social housing (also known as public housing) provided by Leeds City Council.

Social housing is run by the local authority (Leeds City Council) and provides homes across Leeds that aims to be affordable to rent for people on low incomes.

You need to be a member of the Leeds Homes Register before you can apply for council housing

There are two ways to get on to the Leeds Homes Register:

  1. Complete a housing application form;
  2. Present as homeless – (Homelessness assessment).

A lot of people want council housing, and there are not enough houses for everyone who wants one.

The Council will look at your circumstances to decide how high your need is.

People with the highest need will be given a Band A priority which means they these people are given first priority for housing.

Every week the council shares a list of housing available and you can bid for the ones you like. If more than one person wants the same house, it will be given to the person who has been waiting the longest and who has the highest priority banding.
It can take a long time for council housing, even if you have the highest priority.

Even people with the highest priority Band A often wait between 6 months and a year for permanent housing.

Where you need to go

In person

Leeds Housing Options – City Centre Hub, Merrion House, 110 Merrion Centre, LS2 8BB
Monday – Thursday: 08.30 – 16:00 and Friday 09:30 – 16:00


Leeds Housing Options website is full of helpful information

You can also get housing advice online at places like:

Citizens Advice Bureau

By phone

You can telephone Leeds Council for Homelessness and Housing Advice on 0113 222 4412

What you need to take with you

  • Your Home Office Letter (NASS 35), showing your immigration status
  • Proof of your address (a letter from Mears with your name and address on it)
  • Your BRP if you have one
  • Your completed Personal Information Checklist
  • Any additional evidence of medical difficulties or disabilities, or things that means you will need a house adapted to your needs.

Other things to think about

  • Housing Options will tell you about renting from private landlords, as well as social housing.
  • If you have a disability or need a house to be adapted to your needs, make sure you tell the Homeless Officer.
  • You may be eligible for an Integration Loan to cover the costs of a deposit for private rented accommodation, and essential items for the house.

Last Updated: 15 August 2019

Print Friendly, PDF & Email