What you need to know

Indefinite Leave to Remain gives you permission to stay in the UK on a permanent basis.

If you have lived in the UK for five years with refugee status, you may be entitled to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR).

You will need to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain during the 28 day period before your existing leave expires.

If you were granted a different type of leave, such as discretionary leave, you should seek immigration advice, as the rules and application form for Indefinite Leave to Remain vary.

What you need to do

Make sure you get advice on your application for Indefinite leave to remain from an OISC approved adviser.

A solicitor will charge you for help with this – they do not receive Legal Aid for this work.

A voluntary or community organisation in Leeds which accredited by OISC to give immigration advice may be able to help for free.

Find an OISC Accredited Adviser in Leeds

It is important not to apply for ILR too early as this can result in the application being returned.

You can find an application form for the Indefinite Leave to Remain by visiting:
Application Form

Once you have completed your application you should:

  • make a copy of the application form and associated documents;
  • send the application by registered post.

There is also a route through European law for family members of EEA nationals to obtain permanent residence in the UK after five years.

EEA Permanent Residence

Last Updated: 15 August 2019

Print Friendly, PDF & Email