Adult social care (also known as Adult Social Services)

If you or someone in your family is aged over 18 and needs extra support to live independently, they may be able to get support from Adult Social Care.

Adults who may need extra care and support include:

  • older people
  • people with learning disabilities
  • people with physical disabilities
  • people with mental health problems
  • people with drug and/or alcohol issues
  • carers (someone who regularly looks after a child or a sick, elderly, or disabled person)

You can ask for help from Adult Social Care yourself, or a professional such as a family doctor (GP) can ask for help on your behalf (this is called making a referral).

After this, an assessment will be made to find out what you or your family member needs.

Here are some examples of help you may be able to get from adult’s social services:

  • care at home with bathing, dressing, cooking, eating
  • getting around your community
  • care away from home, such as day centres or short breaks
  • accommodation with staff who can provide extra care, such as nursing
  • helpful equipment or changes to your own home
  • support for people who are carers

You may have to pay towards some or all of the costs for the care you or your family member needs. The Council will decide how much you need to pay.

Help from other places

Leeds Directory is a website that can help you find out more about support available from adult social care and health services. You can also find out about hundreds of local community groups and charities that can help you live independently, including hobbies, social activities, help with gardening and around the home.

Leeds Directory

You can find out more about adult social care on the Leeds City Council website or by contacting them directly.

Adult Social Care

Last Updated: 15 August 2019

Print Friendly, PDF & Email