What you need to know

When you become a refugee, your NASS support will end: your money will stop and you will have to leave your accommodation.

NASS support will stop 28 days after your Biometric Residence Permit has been issued.

You will be issued a ‘Notice to Quit’ letter which advises that NASS financial and accommodation support will stop within 28 days.

You will also receive a letter directly from the Home Office which will tell you the date that the NASS support ends. This form is called NASS 35 and you must keep it in a safe place.

It is extremely important to make sure that you have your Biometric Residence Permit when you receive the ‘Notice to Quit’ letter.

If you don’t have a Biometric Residency Permit Card when you get your ‘Notice to quit’ letter you should tell the Home Office and your solicitor immediately, and request that the 28 day period does not start until you receive your permit.

When your card is ready, the Home Office will send you a letter telling you to collect your card from St John’s Post Office.

What you need to do

If you are at risk of being made homeless (if you have nowhere to live on the date your accommodation ends) you must go to Leeds Housing Options and request a Homelessness Assessment as soon as possible.

The assessment is the way of deciding if the Council will help you. Housing Options will let you know if they can help you within 33 days. Refugees are usually recognised as homeless and eligible for help. If you are not, you should ask for a review immediately. If you want someone to help you with your review you should get in touch with Leeds Citizens Advice Bureau or Shelter.

Citizens Advice Leeds

If you are homeless and have nowhere to stay, go to Housing Options as early as you can and they will try to arrange emergency accommodation for you. Please try and get there in the morning. If you arrive in the afternoon, this will make it much harder for them to find you a place.

If you want help from Housing Options to find somewhere to stay, you must tell them about any changes to where you are living.

Where you need to go

In person

Housing Options City Centre Hub, Merrion House, 110 Merrion Centre, LS2 8BB Monday – Thursday: 08.30 – 16:00 and Friday 09:30 – 16:00


Leeds Housing Options website is full of helpful information
Leeds Housing Options

You can get housing advice online at places like Shelter, but you will still need to register with the Council for accommodation in person.

By phone

You can telephone Leeds Council for Homelessness and Housing Advice on 0113 222 4412

What you need to take with you

  • Your Home Office Letter (NASS 35), showing your immigration status
  • Proof of your address (a letter from G4S with your name and address on it)
  • Your BRP if you have one
  • Your completed information sheet
  • Any additional evidence of medical difficulties or disabilities, or things that means you will need a house adapted to your needs.

Other things to think about

  • You may want to rent a place from the council house, or a housing association, but this might not be possible.
  • Housing Advice will tell you about renting from private Landlords as well as social housing.
  • If you have a disability or need a house to be adapted to your needs, make sure you tell the Homeless Officer.
  • You may be eligible for an Integration Loan to cover the costs of a deposit for private rented accommodation, and essential items for the house.

In This Section

Last Updated: 15 August 2019

Print Friendly, PDF & Email
Go to Top